[NTLK] NSM - a NewtonScript virtual machine

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Jan 29 11:59:01 EST 2014

On 29.01.2014, at 17:00, Matej Horvat <matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 01:58:04 +0100, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
>> Where are you planning to go?
>
> Everywhere. :)

Great. Come visit me in Germany.

> I would like to turn it into a library so it can be called by or linked with other applications, as well as add a way to call native code stored in packages from NewtonScript. Some ideas on how it could be used:
>
> - To provide scripting in a video game.
> - To provide extension functionality in an application.
> - To generate dynamic Web pages.
> - To execute desktop command line or GUI applications, as NewtonScript is a very productive and portable language.
> - To natively execute Newton OS applications. (We can dream...)

Great work. NewtonScript is a very good language.

There are two similar projects in existence (but no longer actively developed as far as I can tell). Check out NEWT/0 by Gnue. He implemented the compiler as well. No need for NTK anymore, and it can even write Package files (only tested on PowerMacs):

http://gnue.github.io/NEWT0/

Also, Simon Bell wrote a runtime environment which helps him to develop Newton apps:

http://newtonresearch.org/framework/index.html

"There is a NewtonScript compiler within the framework, but you should use NTK to create NewtonScript codeblocks."

Maybe you can get some inspiration here. Newt/0 is Open Source. In a perfect world, we would integrate all three projects and finish your dream ;-).

 - Matthias