[NTLK] Wireless or Ethernet Networking

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:19:16 EDT 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Greg Friesz <gfriesz at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone! After a few years of them sitting on a shelf, I'm just getting back into tinkering with my three Newtons (110, 130, and I finally have a working 2100 - thanks to Daniel for helping me procure an Interconnect dongle for it).
>
> Can anyone point me to a good primer on setting up networking, preferably wireless, but ethernet as well?  I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I have no idea where my thumb drive with all of my old Newton docs is.
>
> Also, what e-mail client do you guys recommend, and are there any issues with current protocols?
>
> Thanks again for any help - really glad to have found this mail group.
>
> Greg
> ———————————————————————————————————

This for some reason got sent from my other email address by accident.

I had to think about this pretty hard because I haven’t had to setup wifi on my Newton in such a long time. Tony Kan’s blog has a post from back in 2008 explaining how to setup wifi. <http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2008/08/going-wireless-setting-up-wifi.html>

You basically need 4 packages from Apple’s Newton Internet Enabler software to get Internet connectivity working:
EthernetSetup: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP
NewtonDev: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/ENETSUP
InternetEnabler: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/REGPKGS
InternetSetup: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/REGPKGS

Drivers for Ethernet & Wifi cards can be found on Unna as well:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/drivers/ethernet

The compiled wifi driver can be found inside the source zip file on Unna:
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/drivers/ethernet/WiFi

I can’t remember if you need to install NE2K.pkg for the wifi driver to work correctly or not.
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/drivers/ethernet/ne2k

Email has gotten more difficult over the years as many services require you to use SSL encrypted connections and the Newton can’t handle that. MailV from Simon Bell is probably the most feature complete email client for the Newton. While it does support POP3, I thought I read years ago in the list that a bug existed that caused storage space (or maybe it was heap) to get eaten up over time. The recommendation is to stick with IMAP when using MailV.

There are basically 3 browsers to choose from if you want to try:
Courier: http://40hz.org/Pages/Courier (text only and the fastest)
Newtscape: http://communicrossings.com/html/newton/newtscape.htm
NetHopper: http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/web-browsers/NetHopper3.2 (definitely install ZNHPatch & NHCharsets patches from Daniel Padillahttp://dev.newtontalk.net/dpadilla/progs.htm)

The ability to surf the Internet has gotten a lot harder recently. Many websites retired their mobile specific pages and switched to mobile responsive design. This means your browser has to download all the full page content before it can render properly.

-Tony Morrow
lookanotherblog.com