[NTLK] OMP serial connection problems

Matej Horvat matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si
Tue Nov 24 16:47:45 EST 2015

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 22:11:13 +0100, William Maloney <firedoorus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So far as running NTK in Vista, which option should I choose? I was not
> able to install any packages via there, nor install the Toolkit App. No
> evidence of any sort of connection. Newton simply says it could not get a
> response from anything.

It's definitely a hardware error. If a connection was being made and
failed for some reason, you'd at least get an error message from NTK, the
Newton, or both. For example, NTK likes to complain if you don't open the
connection on the Newton first.

(Off-topic: I'm surprised that you got NTK to run on Vista at all. I
thought XP was the last version of Windows it would run on. It doesn't run
on 64-bit Windows 7 - are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?).

> Should I be mindful of the serial port settings? All the different
> options?

I don't think the settings in Device Manager do much.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ_Adjusting_The_Serial_Port_Settings_In_Windows

For what it's worth, NTK and Newton Press (which don't let you change the
speed) always use 38400 bits per second.