[NTLK] Advice needed on what to keep for Newton

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 9 02:30:59 EST 2017

Dennis:

Two things to add, RE: Previous Apple IIc email—

1) One workaround for timestamp on AppleWorks 2.0 (on the IIC with AE Z-RAM Ultra III card) is to use 99 (1999). This allows system startup, but is obviously inaccurate. I forgot to mention that…and;

2) Regarding what to keep for your Newton connection: I’m using a Mac SE/30 which has a 68030 CPU, so less than a PowerPC is possible. I’d guess the PowerBook 145B would be ideal, as it also runs 7.6.1. (I’m running 7.5.5 with the SE/30, as that’s as high as it will go without a IIsi or IIfx ROM.) The 145B has an Apple serial port, so a USB dongle arrangement would not be necessary as with the PowerBook G4.

Hope that’s a help.

Thanks,
Forrest