[NTLK] Shorthand or speed writing

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 28 21:25:20 EDT 2017

Open plan offices prevent STT from taking off.  I'm OK because I have my own office but not everyone is so fortunate.  I use HWR whenever I can't dictate.

Apple's cursive HWR engine used in the Newton was licensed from precursor organisation to Evernote.  Since the Newton, HWR technology has advanced considerably and a number of major players have their own engine now.  Each of these engines are equal to if not superior to the original Newton engine.

If Apple doesn't already have an engine developed, they will need to look at licensing someone else's or develop something from scratch.

Apple has a print (character by character), HWR engine named Rosetta developed by Larry Yaegar.  As far as I know it is still embedded within OS X and could be used as Inkwell.

If they developed an HWR service which allowed every application on iOS to offer HWR and allowed you to write anywhere on the screen, and place the recognised text wherever the cursor was last located, then I would seriously look at changing over from Windows 10.

Cheers

Tony

Christchurch
New Zealand

This email was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

[snip]
Has the Newton ever been capable of interpreting shorthand or any other speed writing technique? Could speech-to-text (STT) eclipse hand writing recognition (HWR)?

I ask because I am trying to fathom why Apple isn’t pursuing HWR in iOS now that there is an Apple Pencil.
[snip]