[NTLK] [ANN] UNNA.org down for scheduled maintenance tomorrow

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Mar 24 22:00:25 EDT 2017

There are a couple of factors:

- Dusting of ctorrent and reminding myself how to generate the .torrent
file (relatively minor)
- Duplicating the content, making appropriate exclusions, and ensuring
there's adequate disk space (the UNNA archives are currently stored in an
all-too-massive SVN repo, a Git repo in the near future). This is more time
consuming due to dish thrashing (it's a few gigabytes of very small files),
manual tuning & verifications of exclusions.
- Testing. Last I checked, the UNNA seeds were not working correctly (I
think due to firewall/interface binding issues) so that could be moderately
time consuming as well and if there isn't a working seed then the .torrent
files are useless.

I'd honestly want to tackle the seeds issue prior to attempting to generate
new .torrent files.

Torrent-related issues have been lower on my priority list than some other
UNNA projects (I recently resolved some security issues and major issues in
the SVN repo in prep for migration to Git). I need to get in and
update/merge in customizations to the NPDS Tracker Server. Unfortunately,
this unexpected personal move (and related office & servers move) has added
further delays, but are important to keeping UNNA up and I've addressed a
number of DNS issues in the process.

I sincerely apologize that my progress has been so slow on the UNNA front
the last several years (I cringe at the number of resources I know of that
have disappeared during that time, and the ones I don't know of make me
positively ill) and am trying to catch up. My current priority is to get
infrastructure & code cleaned up and restructured to a point where this can
be more of a collaborative resource again (UNNA server mirrors, the wiki,
GitHub repos, etc.) so that we can get back to the important work of
archiving & cataloging Newton software & websites.

I do greatly appreciate reminders for things that need updating & fixing.

Morgan

--
Morgan
---