[NTLK] Easy Connection to Hackintosh

Randy Glenn randy.glenn at gmail.com
Tue May 9 11:37:33 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Matej Horvat <matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si>
wrote:

> Yes, I also don't know why everyone insists on Keyspan. Another great
> choice are Prolific PL-2303 adapters, which are supported on Mac OS (8.6
> and higher), Mac OS X (PowerPC and x86), Windows, and elsewhere. Of course,
> you then need a "PC" cable on the Newton side.

Just a warning about the PL2303 adapters: the latest Prolific drivers
identify older versions of the chip properly, but don't actually work. They
did this to deal with knockoff chips - but disabled a ton of legitimate
parts in the process.

Effectively it means that older PL2303 devices don't work under Windows 10
unless you reinstall an old version of the driver - and in my experience,
that has to happen after every reboot.

I'm curious as to whether the CP2102 USB to Serial chip would work well -
drivers for OS 8.x do exist for that one, and it's fairly cheap.