[NTLK] Raspberry Pi as a wifi-to-PPP bridge for a Newton?

Steven Frank stevenf at panic.com
Mon Apr 16 20:41:30 EDT 2018

It just occurred to me that it'd be possible (in theory at least) to set something up like pppd on a Raspberry Pi, and use it like a serial-to-wifi bridge for the Newton.

Has anyone tried this?  Did it work?  Was it in any way useful?  I probably should've searched the archive first.  :)

I guess it would be a fair amount of gear to carry around (Pi with battery pack, serial cables..) but it would be compatible with modern wifi standards (unlike PCMCIA wifi cards) while appearing to be just a dial-up ISP to the Newton.  Battery draw on the Newton would be relatively minimal too.

Also, someone back there (points at list archive) was talking about making an HTTP proxy that re-formatted websites on-the-fly for consumption on the Newton.  You could run that on the same Pi and have sort of an all-in-one Internet Adapter Device for Newtons that doesn't require any additional hardware on the Newton side.

In theory.

Steven