[NTLK] Raspberry Pi as a wifi-to-PPP bridge for a Newton?

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 17 12:17:17 EDT 2018

I haven’t tried this, but I do have a R-Pi, and was trying to set it up as a little file server for our home network.  Since I was out of ports on our little (and I mean little) home router, I tried running the thing wireless.  It seems the thing, or some part of it, goes to power-saver mode/sleep after about 3 hours.  Even after searching the ‘net for solutions, and turning every screen-saver, power-saver, network-saver I could find, it still goes offline at about 3 hours.  If I hook a monitor and keyboard to it, I can get to it.  If I leave it headless, over in a corner of my office, I lose access to it after that period of time.

I’m sure this can be fixed, it seems others have, but it will be an issue with the thing right out of the box.  I got busy with other projects, including flooding from Harvey, so got a bit distracted and haven’t gotten back to it yet, but it is something to consider when trying a Pi.  They are pretty cool little things, though, especially when you consider you’re holding a computer in your hand.

Regards,

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas