[NTLK] Raspberry Pi as a wifi-to-PPP bridge for a Newton?

Abraham Limpo abraham at familialimpo.net
Tue Apr 17 17:40:38 EDT 2018

I'm still working on that, but it will take me a while to get back to the
project. I managed to fry my rPI and I had to put down the project for a
while as I am hands deep in restoring all my old macs to life.

The serial to wifi adapter I'm working on is compatible with old macs too,
so it will be a plus for them.

Here you can see the prototype and the handrawn diagram (that, by the way,
IIRC it has an error but I don't remember where, so don't copy it)
http://files.nekoplanet.com/madapterdiag.jpg

the max3232 chip is able to shift levels between r232 and TTL logic at
115000 bps (in fact, faster, but I haven't tried that, as it needs very low
impedance and good capacitors, of which the prototipe has neither).

Of course, you can achieve that with a usb to r232 adapter.

I managed to connect to the machine, but for some reason I wasn't able to
set up masquerading correctly. Most of the documentation is old but still
more or less workable.

As soon as I finish refitting my old mac motherboards (changing caps on my
classic, LCII and a IIcx that I got recently) I will go back to this
project.

cheers,
Abraham