[NTLK] Intel Series 2+ 16MB wrong size on Newton

B Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Fri Aug 3 20:28:26 EDT 2018

Piotrowski Paweł (Newton) wrote:
> I have Intel Series 2+ 16MB linear card, but my Newtons shows me 20MB capacity. How and why? Any ideas?1) What kind of memory cards can I use in my Newton?

Attached below is table of compatible cards from Newton FAQ II indicating II+ cards work on all 2.0 and up models, not 1.x.

Perhaps the card was mislabeled?

If it works, I wouldn’t worry.

a) What cards are suitable for the Newton?

You can use SRAM cards or FlashRAM cards. SRAM cards are more expensive
than FlashRAM cards, and they need an internal battery.
There are several kinds of flash memory cards available today. There are
ATA flash cards, compact flash cards, SmartMedia flash cards and linear
flash cards. Linear, ATA and compact cards are the same size, but only
linear (or regular) cards can be used in Newton Message Pads, and not all.
(see next question).

b) What sizes and models are suitable for my Newton?

There are several common kinds of linear cards, depending on the chip used
in it.

Memory Card compatibility

+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
|	 |  All   |  All   |	    |	     |
| Model  |  1.x   |  2.0   | MP2x00 | eMate  |
|	 | models | models |	    |	300  |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
|	 |	  |	   |	    |	     |
| SRAM	 |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Yes   |
|	 |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
|AMD D/AD|	  |	   |	    |	     |
|	 |   No   |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Yes   |
| 5v/5v  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
|Intel II|	  |	   |	    |  Read  |
|	 |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Only  |
| 5v/12v |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
| Intel  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
|  II+	 |   ?	  |  Yes   |  Yes   |  Yes   |
| 5v/5v  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
| Intel  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
| VS 100 |   No   |   No   |  Yes   |  Yes   |
| 5v/5v  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
| Intel  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
| VS 200 |   No   |   No   |   No   |	No   |
| 5v/5v  |	  |	   |	    |	     |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+
VS: Value Series

Please note that I compiled this table from various sources.
SRAM cards are said to only work if they are 4 MB or smaller.
It is believed that you need Newton OS 2.x to use flash cards bigger than 4
MB, however it appears to be wrong at least with the Intel Series II+ in a
MP100: Harri Hohteri <harri.hohteri at cs.helsinki.fi> succeeded in using such
a card in his MP2100, his MP130 and his MP100.
It is believed that Series II+ only work in 2.x models, but Harri Hohteri's
40 MB card works in his MP100.
The maximum size limit has been said to be 4 MB, 32 MB, or any other value.
Apparently, there is no size limit but the linear cards limit (64 MB),
however nobody reported to have been able (or unable) to use a 64 MB card.
If you do, please contact us.
Intel and AMD are technologies and most of the time suppliers of the chips,
not brands. Therefore Intel cards can be sold under different brand names
(Apple for example ;-). You can identify them by their part number:
nn is the memory capacity in MB
* Series II: iMC0nnFLSA
* Series II+: iMC0nnFLSP
* VS 100: iMC0nnFLSC

via cable from low-power MacBook lacking wireless devices,
hence radiating no deadly EMR connectivity: see RadiateNot.Me;
plus powered by non-radiating coaxial DC cable from utility shed
where wall wart* EMR is indetectably far away
                           *standard Apple shielded power supply = less emissions