[NTLK] ICYMI, NTLK, &c. [Re: AA battery trays]

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 10:36:20 EST 2018

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 6:42 PM, William James <whjames67 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> What is ICYMI?

In case you missed it ...

<https://newrepublic.com/article/117886/icymi-internet-acronym-destroying-our-conception-time>

> Why can't people responding, just use English?

Acronyms have been part of online culture since the beginning, but have proliferated over the past decade of social media sputum. I agree that clarity should take precedence over the use obscure abbreviations.

That being said, NTLK (see what I did there?) does not have a specific policy over the use (or overuse) of acronyms and other textual shortcuts.

> I would expect the cursing and bickering from the Mac community (the mainly child driven 68k MLA, although there are genesis there), but not from the Newtons?

Any community (physical or virtual) can expect some "bickering" … NTLK is no exception. Part of my "job" as the list dad is to monitor these types of interactions and step in where necessary. In this case, someone's temper flared momentarily, but was brought back under control within two messages. If the discussion had remained heated (or had escalated into being abusive), I would have pulled the involved parties off the list immediately and addressed the situation directly with them.

In most cases, these situations sort themselves out.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian