[NTLK] ICYMI, NTLK, &c. [Re: AA battery trays]

Dennis Swaney romad at mac.com
Thu Feb 1 11:24:43 EST 2018

Acronyms should not be used in anything WITHOUT first spelling out the
acronymized phrase at the first use. For example, in this message,

"That being said, NTLK (see what I did there?) does not have a specific
policy over the use (or overuse) of acronyms and other textual shortcuts.

"Any community (physical or virtual) can expect some "bickering" … NTLK is
no exception. Part of my "job" as the list dad is to monitor these types of
interactions and step in where necessary. In this case, someone's temper
flared momentarily, but was brought back under control within two messages.
If the discussion had remained heated (or had escalated into being
abusive), I would have pulled the involved parties off the list immediately
and addressed the situation directly with them.",

the line should read "...Newton Talk (NTLK)..."  (or NewtonTalk?) at the
first use.

Doing so establishes WHICH phrase is meant by the acronym used and avoids
confusion. A good example is the acronym "SAC" which can mean: Strategic
Air Command, Special Agent in Charge, Supreme Allied Commander, the
Sacramento Executive Airport code, etc.

Of course there are some long time acronyms that have become well known:
AWOL, RADAR, LASER & MASER, etc.

Last, since an acronym is defined by it being pronounced as a word, NTLK,
ICYMI, LOL, YMMV, and so on are NOT acronyms; rather they are examples of
initialism <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/initialism> (though
NTLK doesn't meet that definition either).

Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"I think, therefore I Mac"