[NTLK] Need help with finding chips for eMate memory upgrade boards

Randy Glenn randy.glenn at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:49:40 EDT 2018

Flash datasheet: http://randyglenn.ca/newton/28F016SV.pdf
RAM datasheet: http://randyglenn.ca/newton/HM51W16165.pdf

Schematic I reverse-engineered of the NewerTech memory module:
https://github.com/OpenNewt/Memory300/blob/master/memory-300.pdf

Based on
https://web.archive.org/web/20010212135752/http://user.chollian.net/~cehz/upgradeEng.htm
(Newton 2000 memory upgrade instructions, but I assume the eMate 300 will
be the same because they're both N2-based), the salient specs for the RAM
are:
-3.3V
-1M x 16
-4K refresh (determines the number of row address lines vs. column address
lines)
-EDO or Fast Page Mode

1K refresh parts seem to be far more available these days. It's possible
that the eMate will be able to detect that the RAM uses 10 row address pins
and 10 column address pins, rather than 12 and 8 in the 4K refresh parts,
but without more documentation it's hard to know without actually building
it.

-Randy