[NTLK] Followup on EM300 upgrade board

NewtonTalk newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Tue Sep 11 20:30:40 EDT 2018

> Why are they charging you for "ERSA tip reactivator"?.

Because I explicitly ordered it :-)

I'm not only doing reflow soldering. Come to think of it, I've NEVER done
reflow soldering yet. But I'm optimistic that this is going to change in the
foreseeable future :-)

When I fix Newtons, I normally do it using two soldering irons, one in each
hand, under a microscope. That's the only way to get two-pin SMD components
like resistors and capacitors off the board without the risk of tearing
soldering pads off. The down side is that this'll wear out two soldering
tips instead of one. These tips are extremely tiny, they don't last very
long, and unfortunately they're also fairly expensive. With the tip
activator, which I hadn't known existed before I saw it in Beta Layout's
store, I hope that I might get some more use out of these tips. If I don't,
it was eight bucks down the drain, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Cheers

Frank