[NTLK] (no subject)

j jhogue1 at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 11 17:06:54 EDT 2019

NOT TRUE !!!
There IS a way to have apps link/share SECURELY… but it isn’t on any OS you have used before.

There’s a new OS in town and it has been on development for at least 13 years.

Go check out https://genode.org <https://genode.org/>

Here are the first 2 paragraphs of the Genode/Sculpt “About” page:
"The Genode OS Framework is a tool kit for building highly secure special-purpose operating systems. It scales from embedded systems with as little as 4 MB of memory to highly dynamic general-purpose workloads.

Genode is based on a recursive system structure. Each program runs in a dedicated sandbox and gets granted only those access rights and resources that are needed for its specific purpose. Programs can create and manage sub-sandboxes out of their own resources, thereby forming hierarchies where policies can be applied at each level. The framework provides mechanisms to let programs communicate with each other and trade their resources, but only in strictly-defined manners. Thanks to this rigid regime, the attack surface of security-critical functions can be reduced by orders of magnitude compared to contemporary operating systems.”

I have posted before about Genode/Sculpt.
It would be an awesome system to run on a portable ARM based tablet while running Einstein !
At some future date a community NewtonOS 3.0 running on it would be super fantastic.

Jason