[NTLK] AirPort Express and Newton

arceeHS arceehs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:28:51 EDT 2020

Newton Wireless Cards

1. Hiroshi Noguchi wrote his Newton wireless driver based on a Lucent
WaveLan PCMCIA Card. The Lucent Model Number for this card is
PC24E-H-FC.

2. The WaveLan card is based on Lucent’s Hermes chipset. It meets, by
definition, 801.2b Wi-Fi standards. The Hermes chipset is the key
consideration in whether or not any wireless card will work with
Noguchi-san’s driver.

3. In addition to the various supplier’s names used during the
corporate disintegration of Lucent Technologies (Lucent, Avaya,
Agere), the Hermes chipset was used in cards with a variety of other
supplier names - Dell, Buffalo, Farallon, Compaq come readily to mind
- there are others. Whether these cards were made by Lucent for the
other suppliers labels or made by them under license is irrelevant
here.

4. Also, the Lucent-based supplier names used a second version of the
Hermes chipset in ORiNOCO model-designated cards. Some of these cards,
but not all, carry Model Number PC24E-11-FC/R.

5. Most all of the other suppliers also had wireless PCMCIA cards
based on technology other than the Hermes chipset, ofttimes with the
same card name and nothing more than a different version
letter/number. The most common (but not universal) identifier for the
Hermes cards usually has some or all the Lucent PC24E-H-FC or
PC24E-11-FC/R model number.

6. The most definitive indicator that a wireless card, independent of
the marketing drivel on the card or in the supplier’s literature, will
work in a Newton with with Noguchi-san’s wireless driver is the FC ID
number that is found on every wireless card. Here, either FCC IDs
IMRWLPCE24H or IMRWLPCE2411R is required.

arceehs

On 7/11/20, Dennis Swaney <romad at nvwisp.com> wrote:
> I had an Enterasys RoamAbout 802.11 DS but never could get it to work
> before; maybe I'll try again. Do you have a link to the required software
> AND the correct install sequence, Pawel? I just went searching for them on
> my iMac and can't find them either in my iMac's Newton folder or in the
> Newton folder in my web browser bookmarks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dennis B. Swaney
>
> "Cogito Ergo Mac"
-SNIP-