NTLK HWR Weirdness

From: Chris Georges (georges4@gte.net)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 02:10:31 EST

For the past few weeks, the HWR on my UMP2K has been sporadically giving
me trouble. I first noticed it as a _long_ pause while writng anything,
where the "bulb" icon would show up at the top of the screen, and
nothing I wrote while the icon was there would appear on the screen --
unless it did, and in that case, there was no rhyme or reason as to what
would translate, and what wouldn't.

A few weeks later, a _really_ weird thing started happening. The HWR
just started going crazy whenever I would touch the screen in a certain
way. (Funny -- I thought only my wife did that. . .)(Just kidding,
honey!) It wouldn't matter how I actually moved my stylus on the
touchscreen; I would get absolute gobbledygook, and I'm not talking
about the translation of my writing; I mean the actual "ink" on the
screen, _before_ the HWR translator kicked in. To give you an idea of
how bad it would sometimes get, while it was having one of its fits, if
I drew a straight vertical line, the "ink" would come out looking like
someone's very scary EKG: all jagged and so on.

This only happened in HWR; not when "sketches" was chosen in the HWR
Prefs panel. And there seemed to be no consistency as to when it
happened: hot, cold, just turned on the Newton, running for an hour or
two -- didn't matter. (However, when the fit is upon it, writing v-e-r-y
s-l-o-w-l-y sometimes _seems_ to help.)

So that behavior has continued to this day. A day or two ago, a new
twist: my pen alignment has been thrown off, out of nowhere. I'll go to
correct it, and in a few minutes, it's screwy again. (This only
happened, thank God, a coupla times the other night; so far, no
recurrences of that particular aberration.)

Can anyone help me? _Please_ tell me it's software, and not my
touchscreen.

As ever, to the best list on the Net, thanks in advance.

--

*********************************** Christopher R. Georges 15230 Roxford St. #32 Sylmar, CA 91342 818-367-6200 • 818-367-6688 (fax) mailto:georges4@gte.net *********************************** ****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by:

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com