Re: NTLK HWR Weirdness

From: Michael Moss (mmoss@dab.microsun.com.pl)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 02:53:15 EST

Well Chris, what you're experiencing has been named "the Jaggies". :-(
It is most distressing and turns out to be more common that one would like.
I don't understand why it changes when you change to 'sketch' mode.
Unfortunately, this was probably a coinsidense.
It seems that the problem is a piece of dirt or grit that has gotten wedged
between your screen and the casing. I don't know how to undo the case, so I
can't tell you how to clean it that way, but a number of people have had
success by taking a business card and running it around the outer edges of
the screen under the case. This way you can work the grit out from under the
case. This did not work for me. But sticking a piece of business card
between the case and screen at the point where the grit seems to be stuck
did. I do have a piece of white paper sticking out from under the edge of
the screen, which doesn't look overwhelmingly beautiful, but the Newton has
been working perfectly ever since I found the trouble spot.
I also wanted to thank the list for the help when I was having this same
problem. My Newt has been working great ever since. Thanks!!
Mike
----------
>From: Chris Georges <georges4@gte.net>
>To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>Subject: NTLK HWR Weirdness
>Date: Tue, Nov 23, 1999, 8:10 AM
>

>A few weeks later, a _really_ weird thing started happening. The HWR
>just started going crazy whenever I would touch the screen in a certain
>way. (Funny -- I thought only my wife did that. . .)(Just kidding,
>honey!) It wouldn't matter how I actually moved my stylus on the
>touchscreen; I would get absolute gobbledygook, and I'm not talking
>about the translation of my writing; I mean the actual "ink" on the
>screen, _before_ the HWR translator kicked in. To give you an idea of
>how bad it would sometimes get, while it was having one of its fits, if
>I drew a straight vertical line, the "ink" would come out looking like
>someone's very scary EKG: all jagged and so on.
>
>This only happened in HWR; not when "sketches" was chosen in the HWR
>Prefs panel. And there seemed to be no consistency as to when it
>happened: hot, cold, just turned on the Newton, running for an hour or
>two -- didn't matter. (However, when the fit is upon it, writing v-e-r-y
>s-l-o-w-l-y sometimes _seems_ to help.)
>
>So that behavior has continued to this day. A day or two ago, a new
>twist: my pen alignment has been thrown off, out of nowhere. I'll go to
>correct it, and in a few minutes, it's screwy again. (This only
>happened, thank God, a coupla times the other night; so far, no
>recurrences of that particular aberration.)

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com