Re: NTLK HWR Weirdness

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 10:28:49 EST

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you're running into several different issues.

As far as the HWR conversion to text; When you write, write non-stop until
you are finished. The Newton will wait until an apparent pause in your
input to start the HWR conversion. Jerky input will yeild jerky output.

Also, from the behavior of your HWR taking too long, it sounds like you are
running low on heap space. I never let mine get below around 150K. If it
does, all sorts of strange behavior is exhibited. To free up heap space,
freeze some infrequently used packages until heap goes over 150K.

You may also have some background task assigned by some abberant software
running at the same time, which slows down everything. A brain-wipe and
reinstall should fix most stuff. Any software that constantly polls the
machine activity is suspect (TimeMan from StandAlone was the culprit on my
machine).

The strange "sqiggles" that happen with ink text rather randomly and the pen
alignment issue is due to, pardon the expression, "crap" stuck between the
screen and the screen frame. The screen is touch sensitive, even on the
edges that are under the screen frame, and "crap" buildup can cause this
symptomology.

One way to deal with this is to take a post-it note, turn the sticky side
toward the screen (down), and slide it (the sticky part) under the screen
frame. Slide it all of the way around the frame (particular attention to
the corners) with the intent of scraping the aforesaid "crap" from the
crack. Repeat the process with the sticky side toward the frame (up). You
may have to do this several times with clean post-it notes to get all or
most of the "crap" out of the crack. Then reset your pen alignment and
you're set, until the "crap" buildup gets bad enough to repeat this
procedure. :)

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Regards,

Gary