NTLK Successful sync with Palm Desktop 2.5

From: James L. Johnson (jimjohnson@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 00:02:02 EST

Friends:

I'm happy to report success using NCU to sync my UMP2K to Palm Desktop 2.5 (on a Mac).

This is a wonderful thing; it's not a perfect sync, but does handle events, repeating events, names & to dos in addition to contact information. The way the information is represented is slightly different, but the important thing is the vast majority of your most basic data *is* portable.

A couple of caveats/hints:

First things first; do a full backup before you start. (You'll sleep better tonight...)

After several furtive attempts, advice on the NTLK list from Lorin Rivers <lrivers@ibm.net> proved to be key:

> In the IntelliLink folder inside NCU is a file called Claris Organizer
> 2.0. Copy that file and rename it to something that pleases you. I
> called mine Lorin's Newton. Synch to that file and all should be well.
> You can then open it in Palm desktop...

No need to change creator codes. It just works.

Events & repeating events are transferred as 'daily banners'. One wierdness is that annual events transfer as two events: a daily event and a repeating event.

Event notes do *not* transfer.

Meeting notes do *not* transfer.

Phone numbers in Names without a specific label (Home, Fax, etc.) do *not* transfer.

Notes in Names transfer just fine.

Be sure to give your applications enough RAM to work with. At least as much as the total amount of RAM (internal + all installed cards) on your Newton.

I haven't tried to sync Notes. I don't doubt that it would work, but suspect that your folders wouldn't transfer, as the catagories in PD are more structured.

IMHO, Palm Desktop does a nearly complete job of syncing your data, and best of all, it's free.

Cheers,

Jim.

James L. Johnson
 Imaging Services Manager
  The Muskegon Chronicle - "Get it in writing."

 "The finest carver cuts little." -- Tao Te Ching

Sent with Newton Technology (how's my handwriting?)

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com