Re: NTLK Back up problem

From: Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 05:01:08 EST

------
I am running MacOS 9 on the Mac and I have been able to back up
before, though the back up has now been lost. I have tried via
Serial/Printer port and AppleTalk. I have disabled all extensions
except the ones required by NCU and have rebooted the Newton with all
packages disabled and I have re-installed NCU from the ground up.
Still the same thing. Any thoughts? This is really annoying problem.
------
Apart from the suggestions Bill gave, did you note how much Memory you gave to NCU? Allocate at least double your total Newton data file size. This is especially critical if you have large PC Cards installed.

Try backing up using the following sequence.

You'll need to use NCU. Allocate enough memory (2 x store size) for NCU. This is the procedure.
1. Unmount and remove your card.
2. Backup Internal.
3. Make a copy of Internal and place it outside of the Backup Folder. This is your first generation internal backup.
4. Now insert Card and let it mount.
5. Backup through NCU with a copy of your Internal in the backup folder.
6. NCU now allows you to select Internal or Card. Select Card and backup.
7. Replace Internal backup in backup folder with the first generation Internal backup. You'll be warned that you're replacing a newer version. Ignore.
8. Next, hard reset Internal with Card removed.
9. Restore Internal.
10. Erase Card.
11. Restore Card.

Kenny Song
<Sent with Newton Messagepad/SimpleMail v 3.3.1d1>

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com