Re: NTLK Ethernet/PPP conflict?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 12:51:28 EST

"Filmer, Paul E" wrote:

> I am looking for help with a possible conflict between Internet access
> methods.
>
> Whenever I connect from 'home' worksite using a modem and PPP to pop my
> mailserver, I find that when I go in to work, my 'office' dynamic Ethernet
> setup can no longer talk to the DHCP server. I have modem/PPP access from
> either site, and can talk to the DHCP server through the modem.
>
> I have tried deleting _all_ Internet related stores, pkgs, and system prefs,
> and then reloading from scratch, including reloading a system backup, which
> will occasionally cure the problem. However, as soon as I use the PPP
> connection method, the problem reappears.
>
> All the setups seem fine, since as I mentioned, it works occasionally.
>
> Any suggestions from the magi?

No suggestion here, only to confirm that this can work. I have a similar setup
where I'm using the modem/PPP connection from home to get on the Internet using
Netcom, but I also use Ethernet access at work, and I never experienced any
problem after I used the modem/PPP connection. The only thing that might be
different is whether you're accessing the *SAME* mailserver both from work and
home. Then, maybe there might be a conflict, as I'm not trying to access my
personal POP mail when I'm at work, and never access my IMAP mail at work from
home.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com