Re: NTLK RemoteTown: how it works

From: thomas snyder (thomas@arlut.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 08:36:46 EST

A Macintosh user!! Unix I like too, but Wintell blowes.
See my www at http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~thomas

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Ching Yi Tsai wrote:

> > From: thomas snyder <thomas@arlut.utexas.edu>
> > Subject: Re: NTLK RemoteTown: how it works
> >
> > Actualy there is a small amount of skill to the game so knowing the rules
> > still does not guarantee that you will do well. Also if you do not like
> > the game then you are just the person that I want to talk to. I am still
> > developing the second version of Remote Town and any sujestions you have
> > to make the game more fun I would like to here.
>
> I know I am asking a lot, but these are a few wishes I want for Christmas!
>
> * Animation: I am not sure how difficult it is to implement animation on the
> Newton. But a little animation will definitely help visual feedback of the
> game status.

Im tring to keep the game from getting much biger then it is already. So
no animation (that and I do not think that my 130 can handle it)

> * Better MP2x00 support: I would love to be able to play the game both in
> portrait and landscape mode with full screen.

I will try, but no promices.

> * Some random events: fire, earthquake, monsters, riots, y2k etc. will make
> the game less predictable.

I agree, this would be cool. Earthquake is what I will probably do.

> * More statistics: A smilar graph for monthly income, population density
> (population divide by # of houses), a few more index will help the players
> to understand the current status of the game.

I thought about this to. I'll se what I can do. I will have to change
the current graph to be a line.

> * A scoreboard will be nice: I don't know if there is easy way to integrate
> HTML/EMAIL to the game itself. If we can receive weekly top scores from
> email, and import it to the game, it will be nice.

At the very least I can keep your top 10 scores so you can see if you are
improving.

> * For new players: The first time the player tap on any thing (button, land,
> menu etc.) The program gives a dialog similar to the balloon help on the
> Mac. For example I still don't know what "Estate" is use for. If the first
> time I tap on it and a dialog appear and gives a short description of what
> it is and a few tips of how to use it, it will be great for the new players.

This is a good idea.

> * A minor suggestion: Can the date be display in a more relevant way? ie.
> somewhere around 1990 to 2010 will be more real than 15 year 2 month.. Also
> a dollar sign in front of the budget value will be good.

I way or may not do the dollar sign, depends on how annoing this is to
impliment and still keeping the thing international. As for the year, I
will progably leave it as it is. I am thinking of making the game longer.
Any sugestions on how long?

> * I would love to have a UNDO too!

So would I. I will try to do this one as it is somthing that I also
want.

Download what I have so far and tell me what you think. This is one of
the few times that you get to have input on the development of a product.
I want this to be for all of us.
http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~thomas/download/remotetown2/

My copy will over write the older ver of RemoteTown, so make sure you have
the origonal on your computer. Cities are compatible.

> I suppose there are enough things to implement for your next update eh
> Thomas? :)
>
> Have a wonderful new year, and thanks again for the efforts that you've put
> into the game to make it better.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com