Re: NTLK Newton Book formats...

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 15:08:12 EST

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, John I. Clark wrote:

> As far as I can tell, there are (at least) two Newton Book formats. One
> is in a small window (on my MP2100), and has no prefs for changing fonts
> or anything. The other is full-screen on my Newt, and has options for
> changing font face and size. My question is this: What is the difference
> between the two, and can I make the latter with Newton Press? And what

Newton Press and the NewtonBook spec allow for different book sizes. Off
the top of my head, they are something liek Universal, Classic,
MP2000-Portrait, MP200-Landscape, and MP2000-2up. Universal will work on
*all* newtons. Classic I believe will not work on OMPs (although I may be
wrong). The rest are pretty self-explanatory.

> exactly does Newton Book Maker do versus Newton Press? Your answers are
> greatly appreciated!

Bookmaker takes either RTF (Rich Text) or ASCII text files and generates
Book Source files, which can then be imported into NTK and compiled into
packages. IMO this is the best way to createe very, very large packages.
Tom Sheppard uses BookMaker to generate the (huge) IMDB books. You can
also use Newt's Cape to create books from HTML or PalmDOC documents.

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com