Re: NTLK Factory Calibration Message

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 15:54:37 EST

KTardie@aol.com wrote:

> I have been lurking on the list for nearly a year, learning so much from the
> participants. Thank you for hosting this list and participating in the
> dialogue! I love my MP2000 (upgraded) and have been learning new and better
> ways to use it from all of you.
> My daughter played with my Newton and somehow disabled the password program.
> I had to do a brainwipe and restore my information, with quite a bit of
> tweaking of various programs. I have resolved most of my issues except a
> frustrating message that appears every time I turn on the Newton: "This unit
> requires immediate repair. Factory calibration has been lost. It will not
> charge batteries until this problem is corrected." I am able to charge the
> batteries, however, and my MP works great otherwise. Every time I reboot my
> MP I have to enter new pen calibrations.
> I have removed the batteries for an extended period, checked handwriting
> alignment, and aligned the pen through handwriting in setup. Apple
> Technical Assistance could only suggest that I send the unit in for repair,
> but the problem is not worth $200 and I have nothing else to fix at this
> point. Any suggestions about how I could remove this message?
> Kim Tardie

You said you did a 'brainwipe'. Is this what we commonly call a "hard reset"?
When you do a hard reset, what happens when you initially calibrate the pen and
you do a soft reset? Is it still displaying this error message? You might want to
try that, if you haven't, after, obviously, a couple of full backups. After you
do a hard reset, the unit reverts to its factory state and the first thing you
need to do is calibrate the pen, then enter your personal information. Once this
is done, try to do a 'soft reset' and see if the error happens again.

If not, then it means that the System soup, where I believe calibration
information is saved, is probably corrupted. In this case, when you do restore
your backup, you would need to make sure to *not* check the "System Information"
in the dialog that appears after you choose "Restore". The downsize is that you
will have to re-enter the registration for most third-party applications that you
might have.

If after a hard reset, a calibration and a soft reset, the error still happens,
then it would probably means that your MP needs, unfortunately, to be returned
for service, which you can wait until something more serious happens (hope not).

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com