Re: NTLK Help With SimpleMail and Newtscape

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 06:00:38 EST

>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:27:37 -0800
>From: John Liu <johnliu@earthlink.net>
>
>Well, I'm trying to use NewtsCape and SimpleMail, and I confess I am quite
>baffled. The Newton is cleverer than I am, I expect. Help!
>
>NewtsCape: I installed all packages, everything seems to go OK, I launch
>NewtsCape, type htp://www.yahoo.com in the URL line, and tap File|Open
>Location. The Newton dials and connects and the NewtsCape symbol turns
>into a hand so I think it is doing something. Then the hand turns back
>into the NewtsCape symbol and . . . I don't see a webpage. Just my
>backdrop and the NewtsCape control area. Am I supposed to do something
>else? Is viewing a webpage some sort fo two-step process -- download, then
>view? It is not intuitive to me.

well, Newt's Cape can be complex/intimidating at first glance.

I'd suggest looking at Peter Rand's help book for getting started.

there are 2 triangles on the left side of the Newt's Cape interface.
the top one expands/contracts the URL area.
the bottom one expands/contracts the status area.

with status visible, you should be able to see login, transfer and parsing
progress.

just entering a complete URL and tapping Newt's Cape button (or File: Open
Location)
should transfer and display a web page -- as you'd expect.

a few situations where this might not happen:
- you'd set a preference like i:Process:Cache Only;
  changing to Process: Display xxx would solve that

- page is really long and/or server doesn't supply a length;
  if status is visible, you'd at least see transfer progress

- mutant web page (some authors/database scripts may omit required tags
like <HTML>
  or <HEAD> or <BODY> so fragment isn't recognized/treated as a
real/standard HTML doc);
  yahoo is normal in this respect

- entire doc is a table with nested tables, and eventually displays;
  if you've got status displayed, you'd see tag info displayed as doc is being
  parsed and readied for display; if this is a problem for many docs, you
could turn on
  i:General:Other Options:Ignore Tables (see docs for details). yahoo has
several nested tables
  and although there might be some delays, I'd expect it to display eventually.

- corrupt Newton/package. one user (Beh H L <behhl@singnet.com.sg>) recently
  reported a similar problem here (enter URL, it xfers but didn't display)
  but he was also noticing strange errors with other applications. it appears
  that a corrupt version of Macintalk was to blame (I haven't heard back from
  him in a few days, so am assuming this was the explanation). there are no
  strange interactions with 3rd party apps that would interfere with Newt's
Cape
  display (that I'm aware of).

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com