NTLK Re: Questions, questions...

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox@peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 08:56:12 CDT

* Bill Davis <newton@ecity.net> on Fri, 28 Apr 2000
| CD's aren't compressed (or at the very least not nearly as much as MD's
| or MP3's).

CD-DA is compressed in a manner similar to MD: it removes bits of
information that you allegedly cannot hear (which is not true).
Specifically, anything below 20Hz and anything above 22.05KHz is removed.

| In any event, MINIDISCS are DEFINITELY more compressed, I know this for a
| fact, they freely admit it, but even without that, it's obvious they'd
| have to - here's why:

MiniDisc uses a psychoaccoustic algorithm on the 16-bit CD-DA data stream
that removes sounds you cannot hear. An extreme example is a cricket
chirping next to an airport. You cannot hear the cricket over the sound of
a jet engine flying past. The term is called masking. ATRAC, the
algorithm MD uses, removes masked sounds. The compression ratio is exactly
5:1.

[...]
| I can't tell the difference in audio, however, between CD and MD.

And you won't unless you spend a couple of thousand dollars on an amplifier
and speakers.

Anyway, this is NTLK, not MD-L, so enough.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!