Re: NTLK Modems?

From: Paul Zenk (pzenk@macol.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 06:17:12 CDT

I recently purchased a 3Com 56K Cellular modem and PC card (Model 3CXM556
with Xjack- does not have light on Xjack) for my 2100. Here is the procedure
I followed:

1)From http://www.dca.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/lenlutz/newton.cgi and his modem
list I tracked down a newton package for this PCMIA card at
http://www.netstrat.com/assets/images/Megahertz_PC_56K_1.0a1.hqx Install
package on newton after stuffit was finished with it.
2) In In?out prefs for modem, select bottom slot in connecting using pop up
(that is where modem is) and PC 56 driver from the modem setup popup list
3) Set up ISP info in Internet Setup. Check info in modem settings and select
bottom slot in connecting using pop up (that is where modem is) and PC 56
driver from the modem setup popup list.
4) Set up ALOHA or Simplemail prefs inIn/Out box slip
5) Set up Simplemail etc in owner info card
6) Do a test email from In/Out box. ALOHA worked, Simplemail (3.3) didn't
work because Newton Internet Enabler (NIE) had a problem with negoiating PPP.

7) Reinstalled NIE from 2100 CD and soft reset.
8) Simple mail worked.

I hope this is helpful.
Paul

T.M. Camp wrote:...

> However, since I mentioned speed . . . what modems are available out there
> to 'up the voltage' on what I have. At this point, I am in explore mode so
> money isn't necessarily a consideration. Any suggestions on what you're
> using, how well it works, what drivers are available, would all be most
> welcome.
>
> So, what are you using, where did you get it, and how do you like it?

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!