RE: NTLK Basilisk II for Windows success with Newton

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 00:15:33 CDT

On 5/1/2000 4:43 PM, Jon Shurtleff
[mailto:jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de] wrote:

>It's not so important to me how long it takes since it's unattented and I
>can just let it sit and do it's thing. What is important is that it's
>reliable and it never has been on a PC or my Powerbook, but my Powerbook
>only has 32Mb of RAM so I would have to use VM to crank NCU's allocation to
>60Mb. I wonder how well that would work. My Windows Laptop 'only' has 64Mb
>and by the time You figure just Windows and B II running with 48Mb of RAM
>it's probably into the VM also. Maybe that's why it's slower. Don't know
>but if it's reliable I'm happy. I'll try upping the RAM and the NCU
>allocation though and see what happens.
>I actually have a 64Mb card for the PC laptop which is currently sitting in
>a customers machine at work as a troubleshooting step. That would bring it
>up to 128Mb and when I get that back I'll have to see what happens.
>
>Jon.

I'm pretty sure that memory/VM is the reason for the slowdown and your
problems on your PowerBook too. A Windows '98 machine is rather
handicapped with only 64MB of RAM (I know, I have one at work.....I may
have finally talked 'em into 128MB...)

NCU works best and fastest with PLENTY of RAM.

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!