Re: NTLK Pocket PC

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 00:12:13 CDT

On 5/8/2000 5:00 PM, Richie Cruz [mailto:ricruz@ucsd.edu] wrote:

>Your right it runs somewhat slow. When I was doing some testing, it took
>awhile
>for it to recognize. But I didn't get time to play with it much. If its
>like the newton
>you can set how fast or slow it recognizes hand writing. But I didn't
>realize that
>MS ported over Rosetta to the CE devices. Figured they "stole"/created it.
>=)...

They didn't do either one (especially the latter). They bought the
rights to the ORIGINAL Newton CURSIVE recognizer, that Apple licensed
from Paragraph, now owned by Vadem.. You know, the one everyone
lampooned. (Somebody tell Gary Trudeau!) It was called Calligrapher. The
PocketPC's hwr is a variant of Calligrapher. It's been available for
PocketPC for years, as I recall.

Rosetta is still solely Apple's. And still much better.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!