Re: Replicating the Newton Advantage (was RE: NTLK Purchasing Rightsto the Newton...?)

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 08:34:14 CDT

Andrew Chen wrote:

> Here are my thoughts on alternative technologies to replicate the
> Newton experience:
>
> NewtonScript: Python
> Newton Virtual Machine: Java Virtual Machine
> Newton API: Cocoa API
> eMate Hardware: iBook
>
> Ok, so it isn't exactly a PDA, and certain things are missing (like
> the level of integration and cooperation between Applications), but
> with JPython on Cocoa, I think we can come close to the Newton
> Experience - won't run Newton Apps, but at least all the pieces are
> there.

I think you (and many others) are missing an important point of what made
the Newton a Newton. It has been pointed out before, but allow me to
elaborate.

On this system you are proposing, when I insert a disk, will the contacts
stored on that disk automagically appear in the email client/contact
managing software?

Will any apps stored on that disk appear in the Apple menu (or Dock)?

No. Because the Newton used a unique storage system, based on "soups" and
databases, while all mainstream OS's are file-based.

,xtG
..tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek