Re: NTLK Claris Organizer, NCU and MP130

From: Matt Blomeley (mbl@mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 20:20:07 CDT

Hi Steve,

Heres a marathon reply!

Not sure about your Claris organizer 2.0 problem as I never used
Claris organizer personally. When I first bought a Newton a few years
ago I was still using PC's and used to synch perfectly with Lotus
Organizer and MS Schedule+. I pretty stopped using my newt when I got
into mac's as I didn't need it anymore for my client base. I recently
have had a hankering to start 'newting' again though (only prob is
that everyone still wants to have the obligatory demo everywhere I
go!). I tried Organizer but the feature set was actually pretty
crappy for me.

I have pretty much the same setup as you at present (an iBook on OS
9.0.4 and a newt, but my newt is a 2000. I'm about to start using my
Newt again, my wife had it for a while, but haven't bought a
serial-usb adapter yet) so I am really keen to hear how it goes for
you.

Here's a possible solution for your mac. Have you tried Now Up To
Date and Contact? (fully working 30 free trial, 3-4meg download).
http://www.poweronsw.com/ They still work with Newton's apparently in
the current version, plus you can download a free utility (Now
Synchronize) from their web site as well, to synch with 120-130-2000
models separately from NCU. With this you can select 'contact/date
categories' to include-exclude from your synch's (a wicked feature
for me, as I have one category with 4500 contacts, that I don't need
on the newt), (the download also contains newt OS updates for 120-130
owners!). Their site states that everything they have still works
with newt's but these features are unsupported of course.

I also noticed in the sub folder of the NCU application folder (the
folder named Intellilink), there are files for Now Contact and Now Up
To Date, so it should work well anyway. All I know is that the 'Now'
contact management software is the best Mac PIM I have tried.

If this works well let me know. I have recommended it as a possible
solution, so I hope it does.

Cheers, Matt

PS Anyone with any experience with this software arrangement on your
respective Newton's?