Re: NTLK The Mistry of Apple Products

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 02:18:47 CDT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, THX 1138 wrote:

> At 08:03 PM 8/14/00 John Mark Davis <backlot@swbell.net> quoth:
> >I d/l'd the IrDA info by Bill Moser on the Sloup page and hope to
> >soon attempt transmission between my Newton and my TAM. If it works, that
> >would be very cool.
>
> My recollection is that the IrDA on a TAM is for the remote controller
> only, so you can't use it to send. IIRC, the IrDA can't be set up as a
> serial port, therefore it can't handle incoming from the newt either. I
> don't have one so this is based on my own shady memories. Anyone want to
> provide me with one to prove me wrong? No? Oh well. Odds are you can
> prove me wrong later anyway.

The TAM doesn't have IrDA. It has IR input that only works with, I
believe, 40kHz modulated TV-style input. It's not serial in. It
literally is just TV-remote in, nothing else.

I also have one, and it's very nice next to my NeXT cubes and NeXT slab,
along with a PowerCD, mp2000, MacPlus, B/W G3, and Duo 2300c. Oh, I also
have a PowerBook 190 prototype, and a 6100 with a 21" mono monitor, plus a
"Kinetics FastPath" ethernet/localtalk converter made in '85 or so. ALso
got a few random SPARC 1/1+'s, IPC or two, HP-PA RISC workstation,
12x12" wacom electrostatic tablet...
Oh, also got some old/cheap 915MHz WaveLAN cards so I can run a point to
point link, which I'll be setting up soon. Yes, I _do_ have way, way too
many computers. No, I have not mentioned them all, or even mentioned every
class of processor I have machiens based on... :)

gopi.