Re: NTLK Re: netTime

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 13:34:04 CDT

Andrew Peleikis wrote:

> SBM says I have 3 as well but its 12/15/97.
> I cant get Workin either

OK, after reading a few people reporting version 3 when using SBM
Utilities, I did check on my MP and SBM Utilities also reports version 3
of 12/15/97.

I did poke at the code a bit, and it seems that the preference that
they're saving the setting of this auto-sync flag doesn't seem to be the
same where they're reading it. So, that might explains why the checkbox
is always unchecked when you open the app.

To fix this, use SBM Utilities and open the System soup. Add a slot in
the first entry of the soup. Name the slot "NetTimeAutoSync:DTS". Save
the name. Then, scroll through the slots of this first entry (they're
alphabetically listed) until you see the slot you've just added. It
should read "NetTimeAutoSync:DTS Nil". Tap on it. Scrub the "Nil" string
there and write "True". Be careful to not leave any blank space or such.
Tap "Save". Close the system soup. Now, if you open NetTime, the
checkbox will be checked. It seems that when this checkbox value
changes, the NetTime will register a callback function with NIE or will
unregister it, depending of the state of the checkbox. It seems to
happen when you change the value of the checkbox. So, to make sure it's
registered, uncheck the box, then check it again and quit NetTime. You
can open the first entry of the system soup to check the value of
"NetTimeAutoSync:DTS", but the value seems to be irrelevant, since the
callback will be already registered. The problem I have is that SBM
Utilities doesn't show any registry entry for NIE, so I can't determine
if this is because of a limitation in Utilities, or if there is a bug in
the callback registration in NetTime. And I can't check it at the
office, since we're behind a firewall and NetTime is unable to deal with
this (and even if it did, I'm not sure the firewall would let it
retreive any information on port 37).

Now, if I have the time, I'll try to check with ViewFrame to see if I
can find anything in the NIE heap, or I will look for NIE prefs in the
System soup, and will report back if I ever find something.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com