Re: NTLK Pen sensing drift

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 09:07:55 CDT

John Mark Davis wrote:

> > I tried the "Hard
> > Reset and Reload Everything Except the System Soup" and it seems to have
> > worked!
>
> Great, David! I'd like to try this out myself. I don't know why Apple
> didn't suggest this before. It might've saved me 185 bucks.

Remember, this did work for some people and didn't for others. Of those
who said it worked for them, some later reported that the jaggies did
return. So, all in all, YMMV...

> > The caveat, of course, is that by not reloading the system soup,
> > all my folders were wiped out and reset to the factory defaults.
> > Fortunately, the data themselves were still there; and once I created
> > folders with the same names as my old folders, my data all happily sorted
> > themselves back into the correct places!
>
> I was wondering what wiping out the system soup would affect. I use More
> Folders' nested folders. I wonder if it wipes that hierarchy out, too. I
> may want to jot down my folder structure before I do this.

It may and it may not. Depends how MoreFolders is storing these
information. If MoreFolders is using a soup on his own, then you would
be safe. But I would bet it probably uses an entry in the system soup.
In such case, you would loose everything.

One thing you could try. Get SBM Utilities. Open the soup editor. Open
the system soup. Make a copy of the soup. Then, open this copy. Find the
MoreFolders entry and delete all other entries but the MoreFolders' one.
Then, do your backup, hard reset, restore. Finally, copy back the entry
you saved into the newly created system soup. To be safer, when you
create the copy, make sure you enter a specific application symbol, and
also make sure you make a duplicate on an external flash RAM card, just
to be safe.

> > Cross tips are more like hard
> > rubber, which gives a little (flexible) when you press down.
> >
> > If you really like the naked screen, Cross IMO is the safest out there for a
> > bare screen.
>
> Thanks, Kenny. I'm kind of scared leaving my screen naked, but would love
> to give this a try. Curious, I've never used a third-party replacement
> stylus, can you stick it in the stylus "well" and pop it out okay?

No, not the Cross. In fact, the Cross stylus can fit almost any Cross
pen.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Adaptive Infrastructure, CIS
Fannie Mae Washington, DC, USA
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com