NTLK Re: Six slots on Apple Product Grid (TM?)?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 00:28:20 CDT

On 8/26/00 9:56 PM, Jim Witte [mailto:jswitte@bloomington.in.us] wrote:

>> Actually, if I had to bet, it's that Apple will make a slate style
>> Internet appliance running MacOS, with the Newton's HWR (which has been
>> Developers Conference). This would be a perfect fit for the sixth slot in
>> Apple's product grid, opposite the new G4 Cube.
>
> There are six slots now? I thought there were only four (Powerbook,
>PowerMac, iMac, what was the other?) Is the G4 Cube now positioned as
>the "midrange" machine between the iMac and the PowerMac

Yes, six slots now, as of Macworld Expo July.

 iMac (G3) / G4 Cube / PowerMac G4
 iBook (G3) / ??????? / PowerBook G3

The corresponding portable slot that's now empty is just BEGGING for slim
or slate style Mac to similarly shake up the status quo like the G4 did.
Keep an eye on Seybold (next week), Macworld Tokyo (not sure of date,
coming up soon) or Macworld Expo SF in January. There are rumors of a G4
PowerBook too (me, I'm thinking about taking my G3/250 to a /500 using
the clever PowerLogix upgrade when it's available shortly, and going from
160MB to 384 or 512MB of RAM and from a 14GB to 30GB hard disk (from
MCE). I already have a USB and AirPort (WaveLAN) PCMCIA cards and DVD
and have been meaning to get a Firewire card (wish someone would make a
combo USB/Firewire card). There is rumors of a PowerLogix (I think it
was) G4 upgrade to come. They (or someone) showed a prototype at
macworld. I should get another 2 or 3 years or more out of my PB, easy.
Unless Apple comes up with something REALLY neat for that 6th slot. I'm
waiting a bit to see. I'd love a PenMac.

> (we conveniently forget about the iMac DV+ SE, isn't it more powerful than
>the Cube?)

No, it's not. It only runs a G3, not a G4 like the Cube.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/