Re: NTLK Re: Six slots on Apple Product Grid (TM?)?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 15:12:23 CDT

On 8/27/00 10:04 AM, Brian McEwen [mailto:brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu]
wrote:

>------------
>Subject: NTLK Re: Six slots on Apple Product Grid (TM?)?
>Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 00:28:20 -0500
>From: Bill Davis <newton@ecity.net>
>To: "NewtonTalk" <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
>------------
>
>Above are the headers that came from the list, on this message. If I just
>hit "reply", it would go to the first reply-to address, ie just Bill.

Interesting - these are NOT quite the same headers I get on a NewtonTalk
message -- I don't get TWO "reply-to" lines. Of course, that may depend
on how I replied (to "all" versus to "sender", maybe?) I don't think I
replied to "all" though (I usually don't, even when prompted, at least
when replying to Newtontalk msgs).

>Some peoples posts have always had the "wrong" reply-to listed first, and I
>have had to manually correct them to get reply sent to the list, since I
>do not have "reply to all" enabled on my clients, but just "reply to
>sender".

I've never noticed this in years of using NewtonTalk, until just
recently. Interesting.

>Other peoples posts reply-to fields are always correct (newtontalk is
>listed first, then the others).
>
>I'm assume it's something that your particular client is doing. If it were
>the list daemon, it would likely be happening to all.

There seem to be plenty of things to choose from when deciding on the
reply address...the list daemon could be generating problematic headers,
too. I recall that during the beta test of a version of Claris Emailer I
was involved in, the mail formatting and header items gave the programmer
some serious headache and non-standard problems he had to work around.

>Check your preferences under "replying" and send copies to all instead of
>just the sender, if you like. This avoids the whole issue. Likely there
>was some change in header order according to RFC but people are using older
>clients that don't do it quite right.

I have done so; Claris Emailer does have the option (mine was set to
reply to sender only, not to all recpients, but I'd usually get prompted,
I think, if there was more than one person, or the "From" and "reply-to"
were different.) We'll see if this helps. Thanks.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/