Re: NTLK Re: Six slots on Apple Product Grid (TM?)?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 01:47:03 CDT

On 8/27/00 1:07 AM, Robert Benschop [mailto:robertbenschop@bigfoot.com]
wrote:

>Am I the only one that is missing posted messages ?
>I got Bill's answer on this subject but haven't seen the original yet
>and I'm pretty sure that that has been happening more often lately.
>Somewhat the same subject, I get about 20 % of messages that come from
>NewtonTalk but when I choose reply somehow my mail app (Outlook Express 5.0
>on a Mac) wants to mail it to the original sender. Easily corrected but I
>was just wondering if that means that there's a faulty configuration in the
>mail server of NewtonTalk somewhere.
>Guess these two are for Laura but I'm posting them in the general list
>because I'm curious if I'm the only one experiencing this.
>

>Robert Benschop

Actually, the original reply that I replied to (and that you are now
replying to) came ONLY to me. That's probably why you haven't seen the
original - it never went to the list - just to me. I reposted my reply
MANUALLY to NTLK when I noticed it my outbox that it went only to the
single person who'd replied to me. Perhaps that's what he told his mail
software to do, I don't know. Maybe it's part of the problem you're
experiencing.

But now that you mention it, I realize that, like you, many of my replies
lately that are to people who replied to my NTLK postings seem to go ONLY
to the person who replied to MY message, not the the whole list. I'm not
even prompted whether to reply to the originator or to all recipients. I
think you may be right about there being a problem somewhere.

However, I'm replying to YOUR post to NTLK just fine - it's going to the
list, not just to you. Did you reply to my post to NTLK or did you
address/readdress it manually to the list?

Maybe just a coincidence, but I'm wondering if there's something that's
changed in the message headers on NTLK of late that my e-mail client is
needing (or that the e-mail client of other people is needing.) Any
changes along that line, ListMom?

I use Claris Emailer 2.x. I believe I've heard that Outlook Express 5.0
was written by the same person (or at least he was part of the team).

In looking at the full message headers for your message, I notice that
some of the various e-mail addresses listed have < > characters around
them and some do not, notably the last two or three and ESPECIALLY the
"Reply-To":

>Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:07:17 +0200
>Subject: Re: NTLK Re: Six slots on Apple Product Grid (TM?)?
>From: Robert Benschop <robertbenschop@bigfoot.com>
>To: NewtonTalk <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/