Re: [NTLK] Apple's TIL retired - encore II

From: J. van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 16:03:41 EDT

On 2001-08-07 21:37, "C.W. Otto Sohn" <oky_at_avalon.net> wrote:

> Well, sure, you CAN get SOME of the old TIL articles that way (using
> "search" with Knowledge Archive) but still, anything that returns something
> like: ".../article.html?artnum=n12784" is per se NOT static URL (notice the
> "?" before "artnum=..."). There are so many Newton (and other) articles
> that used to be on TIL that are no longer accessible with Knowledge
> Archive. BTW: A static URL would be something like this: "...
> /techinfo.nsf/artnum/n12784" (no "?", no "=", etc.).

Actually, that is static, just a different way of organising them. The way
it looks now, every article still has a static link. Both old (archived) and
new (active) articles. Basically, the change boils down to a more
sophisticated search system (good), a different way of organising the
information (whatever) and a changed and harder to find static URL for each
article (bad).

> As I also pointed out earlier: in TIL you could BROWSE the Newton-relevant
> articles (which used to give you a hierarchical menu).
>
> This was something like this:
>
> Newton
> MessagePads
> General
> eMate
> MP120
> MP130
> MP2x00
> OS
> General
> OS 2.0
> OS 2.1
>
> and you expand any topic at will.

Well, that's more or less how the Newton Info Library was/is organised...

> THAT REALLY WAS USEFUL.

Thanks! ;-)

> Joost, can you recall how many TIL articles you had linked on your website?
> It was definitely way more than the few that Apple's Knowledge Archive
> returns with "search".

Recall? See for yourself: http://24.132.109.129:8080/alpha.html

,xtG
.tsooJ