Re: [NTLK] Upgrading Memory Cards

From: Gary Moody (gmoody_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 09:04:01 EDT

Hi Ed`

I think the breakover issue is the voltage requirements on the card, rather
than the size. Most of the cards *I* have ever heard of going bad were of
the 5v/5v variety, such as the Pretec cards. Pretec even posted warnings about
hard resets with the cards in on their site at one time. It's just that the
majority of the higher cap cards were of the newer 5v/5v variety. A lot of
people bought them, assuming that the power requirements were much lower than
the 5v/12v cards, which is, to a great degree, a fallacy.

The 5v/12v cards, even the 20MB cards, seem to be *MUCH* more robust than
the 5v/5v ones do. I did hard resets with 2 20MB 5v/12v cards in with no
apparent problems (I don't do that anymore, though). But a lot of users of the
5v/5v cards had them fail. I think it has to do with the initialization
voltages applied across the bus during a hard rest of the hardware.

Regards,

Gary

> I've asked and observed in a previous message about
> the higher memory cards failing at a more rapid pace
> than smaller memory cards.
> I don't know about anyone else, but my Original Newton
> 1mb cards are perfect! I've had then in a half a dozen
> Newtons and reset the Newts on a regular basis with
> the cards installed! I've even used these cards on
> Sony Magic Links and Motorola Envoys with no problems.
> I've also got several 2mb cards that are
> flawless...I'm not gentle with my things and so I
> can't say that I've ever babied these cards!
Hi Ed> So, has anyone else noticed that the higher capacity