Re: [NTLK] Problems Downloading Packages From UNNA

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 22:09:29 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 7/8/01 9:01 PM, the entity known
as John Johnson transmitted the following from kamikazebear_at_excite.com:

> I'll try that, myself. I had hopes of Steve Weyer's PackType
> as an on-mac drop&fix for corrupted .pkg but that, too, was wrecked by the
> time I got it into the PowerMac: the problem is not a .pkg problem alone as
> I tried to get a mac .sit file and had no more success wih it than .sit
> compressions of newt files.

Even if the .sit file comes across as a generic file (no type/creator info),
my experience is that you can drop it on Stuffit Expander (or use the Magic
Menu if you've got the full version) and it will ALWAYS decompress, unless
you're not getting the complete file. Even if the extension is incorrect
(i.e., .sit on something that's really .hqx), Stuffit just looks at the
bytes at the beginning of the file and figures out the right thing to do.
So, the short story is that if you don't have the right icon and
double-clicking doesn't work, just drag & drop the archive onto Expander.

(Note: this presumes that you're not trying to decompress with an older
major version than the file was compressed with to begin with.)

- Eric.