Re: [NTLK] Nushield Question?

From: John M. Powell (quixjuan_at_QuixNet.net)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 15:21:49 EDT

> on or about 7/13/01 2:41 PM, the following may or may not have
> been typed by John M. Powell at quixjuan_at_QuixNet.net:

Oh, it was indeed typed by me. ;o)

> > The reasons why you WANT screen protection;
> > 1) Even though it is only plastic rubbing against plastic,
> > wear DOES occur. I've seen Newt screens that had wear in
> > specific places, where obvious heavy usage occurred.
>
> Good Heavens!! What in the world sort of use could there be that would
> induce that much wear??? The HWR may be excellent, but if I'm gonna write
> THAT much, I'm attaching the keyboard.

But what about that constant tapping where you open/close the
extras drawer? You may not see the wear now, but if you want
your Newt to keep it's pretty, shiny little face shiny...

> > 2) Particles, dust, and dirt float around all the time.
> > You get one of those pieces under the nub of the pen and
> > you've just inadvertently scratched your screen.
>
> That's what I figured, and that's why I wondered if I'm just not
> in the same sort of environment or something. I've been using my Newt for
about 6
> months and so far I'm just not seeing anywhere near the quantity of dirt
> that would make this a serious threat. Obviously folks' mileage varies
> widely.
>
> Anyway, I'd always thought these protectors were just for those folks who
> couldn't be bothered to use the stylus and chose to use any handy
> stylus-like object, including their fingernails.
> - Eric.

It only takes one (1) spec under the nub. I put a good scratch in my
Nushield a week or so ago, and there wasn't anything obvious dirt-wise
before I drug the stylus across the screen. Think of it this way...
your car probably doesn't really NEED an oil change every 3k miles,
but it's certainly not going to hurt. And considering the POTENTIAL
damage that could be done....

Screen Protects. Life Insurance for your PDA.

John