Re: [NTLK] Dragon Voice Recognition Software

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 12:34:50 EDT

on 10/9/01 12:23 PM, good-dog_at_northshore.net at good-dog_at_northshore.net
wrote:

> When I try to open the package on my imac, I get a message saying it
> can't be opened because the original application isn't available. Am I
> doing something 'cwazy'?
>
> Before my move, when I at least knew where my brain was stashed, I
> remember downloading something called PackType. Now I can't remember
> exactly what it was for.
>
> Any help? Anyone willing to point a lost soul in the right direction?

Once again, on the Mac, the Finder associates files to applications using
hidden information called the "file type" and the "file creator". Those
information are not standards, and thus are ignored by most servers. You
need to restore the file type and the file creator of your downloaded
package on your iMac, and you can do this using PackType, available on Steve
Weyer's web site
<http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PackType>.

-Laurent.

casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a
particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else;
esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from
what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the
entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix
A).