Re: [NTLK] batterys reading

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:29:41 EST

on 10/31/01 11:26 AM, Edward Cheung at edwardcheung_at_mac.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> do you guys know how accurate is the battery meter of the Newton?
> the reading on my Newton's meters shows 53% of battery remaining and it
> will shut of itself. After I restarted it, it say the battery went
> dead...
> for your information, I use 2 sets of GP nickel metal hydride 1300mAh,
> when fully charged, the newton reads 95-98%
> I am wondering the shut off problems is from the battery or something
> else.

Is this always happening when the battery goes down around 50%? That would
mean that the batteries are starting to loose their charges.

The Newton is also fooled with your NiMH because it's expecting Alkalines
which have different characteristics than NiMH. But 50% seems to be pretty
high...

BTW, there is a little tool that you can use which will let you specify what
kind of batteries you're actually using, so that will help the Newton in
reporting the remaining charge, but I don't remember the name of that tool,
since I don't use it myself. Anybody?

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."