[NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 08:45:43 EDT

FranK Gruendel asked about whether one can upload a
freeware program: also there has been a question about
the Dragon recognition ware, i.e. "how to get the full
version?"

I will offer the developers of Dragon a simple
shareware license, i.e. a contract, should they wish
to sell their product as share ware (as opposed to
demoware).

As for uploading freeware, if its free its free. You
can thus upload it. If it's shareware then it depends
on the license though I suspect the GNU license allows
persons to freely upload the original ware so long as
it is not sold.

For a shareware, most sharewares say "you can freely
upload this ware as long as you include the shareware
notice".

The _real kicker, legally speaking, is "abandonware" -
Dragon is an example of abandonware. Now while I hope
that eZaurus might be Newton compatible (anyone?
anyone? Buehler?) I do not know. But Dragon has very
little chance of making money except as a shareware -
then again, if Dragon were released for other RISC
platforms then a shareware Dragon for Newt might be a
really good ad for Dragon.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. But what do I know.

=== message truncated ===

=====
My web pages:

http://geocities.com/engleerica/