Re: [NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: Kolbjørn Barmen (kolla_at_nvg.ntnu.no)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 03:59:11 EDT

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, John M. Powell wrote:

> > At 12:21 AM -0400 9/6/01, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> > >I'm just going to add here that, no matter what the copyright
> > laws say, it
> > >is up to the copyright holder to protect it. If they don't, or
> > choose not
> > >to... (IANAL)
> >
> > I'm appalled at this attitude. What if I said "no matter what the
> > theft laws say, it's up to the property owner to protect it"? Can I
> > take your car if you leave it unprotected on the street?
> >
> > If this mail list is going to degenerate into a pirate swap meet,
> > count me out.
> >
> > - Lou Forlini
> > Software Engineer
> > System Support Products, Inc.
>
> Lou,
>
> If I left my car on the highway (ie: ABANDONED it, not 'had a flat')
> and someone came to snag a few parts, you think I care? I left it
> there because I no longer wanted anything to do with it.
>
> Piracy (IMHO) killed the Commodore 64 before it's time.

Uhm.. Commodore 64 is hardly dead, there are still people building hardware
for it and new programs and OSes pops up all the time. You cannot even say
that it is abandoned, as the people who do stuff with it today are very
dedicated. The guy I share apartment with has a C64 buildt into a tower,
featuring a IDE disk and CD-drive, CPU upgrade, I/O-card etc. etc. :)

http://c64.nvg.ntnu.no/ :)

-- kolla