Re: [NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:44:02 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/6/01 12:21 AM, the entity known as Victor
Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net conveyed the following:

> I'm just going to add here that, no matter what the copyright laws say, it
> is up to the copyright holder to protect it. If they don't, or choose not
> to... (IANAL)

And there's the gamble, isn't it? Copyright violation only exists when the
copyright holder takes you to court about it. So if one feels the odds are
that the holder no longer exists, or is in the business, then this becomes a
reasonable gamble. But the stakes are potentially high if one misjudges and
loses the 'bet'. So, I think we're all just trying to hedge our 'bet' here.
(Besides all of us wanting to do the right thing.)

- Eric.