Re: [NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:33:47 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/5/01 10:22 PM, the entity known as Seth Vidal
at skvidal_at_phy.duke.edu conveyed the following:

>> There would be only one way for the Newt community to get any action out of
>> Apple on this. And that is if we all became Apple stockholders and raised
>> the issue at the annual meeting. At the very least, as stockholders we
>> could argue that they're sitting on a technology that has great value and
>> they're going to squander that value by doing nothing, and thus they are not
>> fulfilling their duty to the stockholders.
>>

> maybe. But aol was convinced to release the code to aolserver (their
> webserver) by simply having interested parties who used the product still.
> Netscape was convinced to open the mozilla code by an interested linux
> user.

Neither of these is a HARDWARE company being asked to release the crown
jewels of a device that only they made.

> The reality is that unless apple is planning something in the relatively
> short-frame (say, the next year) they will not be able to make money off
> of this - the wince market will be overwhelming by then. And I am loathe
> to use a wince device.

I'm afraid that Apple's thinking is likely that: a) we don't want anyone
ELSE profiting from this, even if we can't figure out how to do that; and b)
there's always been this on-and-off vague notion that Apple might want to
add HWR to their Mac OS at some point, so they don't want to give it away.
The flaw, of course, is that there's only a limited window for ANYONE to
profit from these technologies.

- Eric.