Re: [NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Seth Vidal (skvidal_at_phy.duke.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 22:22:58 EDT

> There would be only one way for the Newt community to get any action out of
> Apple on this. And that is if we all became Apple stockholders and raised
> the issue at the annual meeting. At the very least, as stockholders we
> could argue that they're sitting on a technology that has great value and
> they're going to squander that value by doing nothing, and thus they are not
> fulfilling their duty to the stockholders.

maybe. But aol was convinced to release the code to aolserver (their
webserver) by simply having interested parties who used the product still.
Netscape was convinced to open the mozilla code by an interested linux
user.

The reality is that unless apple is planning something in the relatively
short-frame (say, the next year) they will not be able to make money off
of this - the wince market will be overwhelming by then. And I am loathe
to use a wince device.

I guess the thing that I thinking is: has someone asked apple to release
the code to the users of the newtons? There has been a lot of discussion
about abandonded newton software - why not treat the newtonos the same
way?

On another tack has anyone investigated the legality in creating a device
that will run the newtonos but is on more-current hardware - the faster
Strong Arm's - better LCD's - slightly smaller form factor, thinner etc
etc.

I've seen a lot of notes about ways to fix your newton from various
places, backlight replacement, serial port trade-outs etc - but is there a
point when you're almost recreating it? If you've legitimately paid for
a newton is it ok to put the ROM from your newton into a new case/machine?

I know the ASIC is the core problem but is it not impossible to move it
into a new system.

-sv